Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Memories of CAKE

A
New Year
always
conjures up
memories
of
the past

I
suppose
that
was
what
ol' Robbie Burns
had in
mind
with

and
why
the song is sung
on
New Year's Eve

he
wrote
that it was
a
time to remember
times gone by


I
had
a
"cake memory"
yesterday
(January 2, 2010)

the
memory
was
of a
cake
my mom
used to bake

my mom
didn't
really
bake,
or
like to bake,
but
she
often
made
this
cake
AND
I
LOVED
IT!

...
this
cake
was
fragrant
with
nutmeg,
crunchy
with
walnuts
and
oh, so moist

and
I
remember
it being
Armenian
or
middle Eastern

Gotta
love
GOOGLE
I
typed in
"nutmeg cake"
and
"Armenian cake"
and all sorts of words
hoping
to spark
the
"cake memory"
and

voila`

the memory
came
alive
in a recipe!

sweet
sweet
success!

the
"memory cake"
is
from
George Mardikian's
1944 cookbook


exactly!!
(I remembered the cookbook!)

My
folks
used to
enjoy
Omar Khayyam's restaurant
in
San Francisco
for
special
occasions

I think I was there once or twice


and
my mom
must
have
snagged
the
cookbook

I
found
the
recipe
"All Purpose Cake"

and then,
I
explored
and
found
an
similar
version
of
the
all-purpose
"memory cake"
****


Annie
(aka Dottie)
tweaked
with
the changes
baked
the
cake
for
Petit Soleil' s
breakfast guests
AND
the
cake
is
AS GOOD
if not better
than
the
original
IMG_1905
Here's the recipe:
1 c. raisins
2 c. brown sugar
2 c. flour
1/2 stick cold butter, but in cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 c. sour cream
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 c. chopped walnuts

Cover raisins with hot water and soak for 15 minutes to plump. Drain and pat dry.
Heat oven to 325 f. and spray spring form pan lightly with Pam.
Combine sugar, flour, butter and salt in food processor and pulse only until crumbly.
Measure 2 c. of mixture and spread evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan. Press down to form a mock crust.
Mix baking soda into sour cream.
Mix remaining flour mixture with sour cream, egg, nutmeg and raisins. Spread evenly over crust and top with chopped walnuts.
Bake for 50-60 minutes



it
was
so fun
that
Annie
(aka Dottie)
baked my
"memory cake"
..
I
do
believe
my
Scottish
mom
was
working
through
her
for
auld lang sine

IMG_1908

No comments:

Post a Comment